Download the 2016 Executive Training Brochure here.
Treaty-based investor-state arbitrations have been on the rise, affecting a growing number of countries each year. Due to several features of investment arbitration, it can be exceedingly difficult for states to understand the strengths and weaknesses of claims or defenses, develop and implement their own litigation strategies, or internalize lessons from past decisions in order to avoid future disputes. Moreover, even when states win cases, defending the disputes can be costly, drawing officials’ attention away from important matters, generating millions of dollars in litigation expenses, and causing governments reputational harm.
This course addressed those challenges. Through an intensive week-long course, government officials involved in managing investment treaty disputes or negotiating investment treaties increased their knowledge of crucial procedural and substantive aspects of investment law. Sessions were taught by leading academics and practitioners and were tailored to uniquely address issues relevant to governments.
Who should attend?
The program is designed for public sector officials whose responsibilities relate to investment treaty negotiation or investor-state arbitration.
If you have any questions about the program or if you would be interesting in sponsoring participants in the program, please contact us at [email protected].
Sessions are taught by leading academics and practitioners and are tailored to uniquely address issues relevant to governments. Past faculty have included:
- Lee Caplan, Partner, Arent Fox LLP
- Kabir Duggal, Associate, Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Lauren Friedman, Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
- Claudia Frutos-Peterson, Partner, Curtis Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP; Adjunct Professor, American University College of Law
- Alejandro M. Garro, Adjunct Professor of Law, Columbia Law School; Professor of Law, University of Buenos Aires; Senior Research Scholar, Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law
- Grant Hanessian, Partner, Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Anna Joubin-Bret, Avocat à la Cour, Cabinet Joubin-Bret (Paris)
- Alexandra Kerr Meise, Associate, Foley Hoag LLP
- Ucheora Onwuamaegbu, International Attorney, Arent Fox LLP
- Borzu Sabahi, Counsel, Curtis, Mallet-Prevost Colt & Mosle LLP
- Constantinos Salonidis, International Associate, Foley Hoag LLP
- Jeremy K. Sharpe, Partner, Shearman & Sterling, LLP
- Shane Spelliscy, Trade Law Bureau, Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, Government of Canada
- Ignacio Torterola, Partner, Brown Rudnick LLP
- Elisabeth Tuerk, Chief, Section on International Investment Agreements, Division on Investment and Enterprise, UNCTAD
- Louis T. Wells, Herbert F. Johnson Professor Emeritus of International Management, Harvard Business School
- Katia Yannaca-Small, Counsel, Shearman & Sterling LLP
Scholarships & Sponsors