Global Research Alliance for Sustainable Finance and Investment 3rd Annual Conference
Date: September 8-11, 2020
Location: The Conference will be held online; details to follow
The Paris Climate Change Agreement and the 2030 Agenda aim to set policymakers, the private sector, and civil society on a common path to advance global environmental sustainability and human wellbeing. In this context, actors and institutions in our financial system have a crucial role to play in catalyzing and supporting relevant solutions, and in ensuring that they do not undermine necessary social, environmental, and economic progress. It is also increasingly important that academic research helps to guide global cooperation efforts in an effective direction. This research must come from a diverse range of approaches and fields in order to constructively address what are extremely complicated and multi-disciplinary problems in the sustainability and finance fields.
The Global Research Alliance for Sustainable Finance and Investment was founded in 2017 to promote multi-disciplinary academic research on sustainable finance and investment. The Alliance organizes a major annual academic conference on sustainable finance and investment. The Alliance is also developing academic collaboration among researchers working on sustainable finance and nurturing the growth and development of graduate students and junior academics working on these topics.
The 3rd Annual Conference will be hosted online by the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (CCSI), a joint center of Columbia Law School and the Earth Institute at Columbia University in New York.
Registration link will be available here in July.
Papers will be presented over multiple conference sessions, organized around the themes of the submissions. Themes include:
- Sustainable finance – the roles and impacts of different financial services actors and institutions
- Corporate governance
- Climate-related risks and finance
- Data and novel methods for understanding and measuring sustainability in finance and investment
- Measuring impact
- The role and effectiveness of ESG ratings and assessment
- Sustainable finance and the law
- Social and human rights dimensions of sustainable finance
- Sustainable investment in and by emerging market actors
- The role of the state (e.g., central banks, development banks, and regulators) in advancing sustainable finance
- Financing natural infrastructure
- Agenda 2030 and the role of accounting systems
The Conference will be accompanied by a PhD workshop, held on Friday, September 11th, where pre-selected PhD students will have the opportunity to present their papers. Faculty and senior researchers from Alliance Universities will provide feedback, as well as advice on research, publications, and careers. This event will also be held online.
More details about GRASFI can be found on the GRASFI 2020 website.